Tuesday, December 18, 2007

So I Bought a Sewing Machine Yesterday


Nice gift, huh? This is for my MIL, not for me, sadly. I got to test drive it and I loved it. I have a Janome Jem Gold, which is similar but doesn't have the ability to adjust stitch length or width, unlike this one. It has needle up/down, and adjustable speed, etc. Really everything most sewers need. My MIL mostly mends, makes costumes and craft projects, so I think this will be great for her.


Here's my snowflake blocking board I made yesterday. I also picked up a few snowflake patterns:

I have to say Micki's comment yesterday about her dh's family's reaction to her snowflakes doesn't surprise me. I've learned not to give handmade things away unless I know the people well enough to know whether they appreciate them.

And, sure, you can buy doilies and snowflakes for 50 cents at a discount store. But that is not the point. Teaching yourself how to make something and watching it come to be is the point. The fact that there is a tangible result at the end is only a plus. I am desperate for nonbreakable ornaments (I have two young cats) so these fit the bill.


Yesterday's cookie: Raspberry white chocolate. I love these, but the jam starts to discolor the cookie after a day or so and they don't freeze well. I'll be giving them away to dd's teachers tomorrow.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Lucky MIL, what a thoughtful gift.

2:22 PM  
Blogger marit said...

Lucky MIL indeed!
I often give handmade/homemade gifts, and try to persuade my children to do so as well, but not all respond too well...When I get something handmade, I use it with awe (is that the right word?), because I fell honoured to be special enough to receive a handmade gift! Maybe you need to be a craftsman to appreciate things like that?
Happy Holidays:-)

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines