Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ow!


Do you think this filthy gnarled hand is worth this?

The candle holders are pretty, but my hands just can't take it. I crocheted the red one instead of knitting it, and it was still quite a struggle. It's funny that the pattern (which I'm not really following anyway) calls for 5 yds of wire to make a candle holder and I am using about 18-20 yds. That means I'm putting a lot more stitches into mine and manipulating the wire a lot more. No wonder my hands hurt. I have enough supplies to make some more, but I think I need a rest.

I made the dress today.

It's a basic stretch velvet sheath to go under the crocheted top. I used a nightgown pattern, Kwik Sew 3342.

I added 8" to the length of view A, and I think originally I traced a M through the shoulders and L through the hips. I have a nightgown I made from it that I like. I used a self fabric binding on the neckline and armholes. I decided to steam-a-seam the hems, so I hope they hold okay. The side seams have slits to right above the knee and I will probably dancing in it (dh's company party).

I still have to go back and shorten the sleeves on the lace top and sew in all the ends, which is only a little bit to do.

While I was sewing, I listened to Lori's Podcast interview with Shannon Gifford, which I really enjoyed. I have to admit I missed a few bits and pieces because I couldn't hear over the roar of my vacuum while I cleaned my machines. I think it's going to be worthwhile to give it another COMPLETE listen.


I hope to post once again before I go to TN for Thanksgiving, but if I don't, have a great holiday!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Mary, that looks so painful. I love your dress, great idea using the nightgown pattern. Also, thanks for the mention of the podcast, Shannon was a wealth of information. Happy Thanksgiving and have a safe trip.

2:49 PM  
Blogger marit said...

The candleholder looks cute, but I guess it's not worth the effort to have your hands hurt like that!
Great dress:-)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Micki said...

Lovely candleholder! I'm sorry they tear up your hands so much. I'm looking forward to seeing the dress complete with the sweater overlay. Very nice!

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines