Monday, October 22, 2007

Owls


Back in the spring, I wanted to learn to crochet so I could make some cute amigurumi. It's taken six months and I finally tried a few.

The white one was the first and my gauge was too loose, you can see how much bigger he is than the other two. He's still cute, but the gaps between the stitches are wide and the stuffing pokes out quite a bit.

The pattern is *The Cutest Little Owl* from Crochet Today magazine, Sept. Oct. 2007. I intended the white owl to be Hedwig (Harry Potter's owl), the gray one is Errol (the Weasley's decrepit owl), and the black one is Pig (Ron Weasley's new little spazzy owl). The kids are fighting over them, hope they settle it soon, I'm not making any more!




I tried weighting them with various things, so they would stand up, but nothing I had on hand worked very well (cat litter, rocks). Next time I'll buy some of the pellets I guess. Also, I should have used some black pantyhose inside of the black one so the white stuffing isn't so obvious.

WHY I WANT THIS DROUGHT TO END!

The animals in my backyard need water! I have a birdbath with a bit of fresh water in it (which is illegal under out current watering ban) -- right now there are 3 tadpoles left in it. They are growing their little frog legs, so they'll all be gone soon. I wish the squirrels and chipmunks would use the birdbath, not the pool. We got to this little guy just in time.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger mermaids said...

OMG....those owls are sooo adorable.

9:26 AM  
Blogger marit said...

The owls make me smile- they are so cute!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

The owls are darling. I have been thinking about your during this drought.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

The owls are adorable! I really need to get out that toy book I bought a while back!
We are in a drought an fire ban here too. It's terrible. Glad the little chipmunk was saved!

5:35 AM  
Blogger Babs said...

Mary - these owls are so cute! They are so wonderful! I'm so envious that you can make things like these.

Just say you put bottled water out there for the animals. :^)

We've been collecting shower water over here - you know while we're waiting for it to warm up - and then we go water a tree or shrub that looks like it could use it.

I also have someone who is looking into making rain barrels.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Amanda Cathleen said...

oh my the owls are just too cute for words!!!
I'm glad to hear that you got that cute little guy just in time.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines