Friday, September 28, 2007

Kitchen Week


I bought and planted this angel trumpet a couple of weeks ago. I used to have a tree-sized one when I lived in Houston, so we'll see how it does here in GA. The freezes are more severe here. I love these because they are fragrant at night and the bats get in them. It's pretty darn cool to see a bat fly out of one the blooms. . .

It's been more of a foodie week for me. I made jelly and it's pretty good. It has some tart apple flavor and not only bland sweetness, which is what I think of apple jelly typically.

I still have a peck of apples left. I think I'll make some applesauce and freeze it, plus a pie or two.

For dd's Social Studies class, they are having a *feast* today and each kid is supposed to bring a food from Europe. I made madeleines yesterday. I had to buy a pan from Williams-Sonoma, but actually I've wanted to make them for a long time and this was the excuse I needed. (I had to buy the pan, it's a SCHOOL project !) There is no leavening, you whip up the eggs and sugar in the mixer like a spongecake. But, since I only used one pan, the baking was slow and when I got to the last couple of batches, the melted butter had settled out to the bottom and it was a mess. The first few batches were really good though.

And in proof that dd really is becoming more like me, she just finished the second Harry Potter book before she left for school this morning. She has been reading obsessively this week, since she was home two days with an ear infection. She took Book 3 in her backpack to while away the spare moments today at school. Makes a mom proud, you know?

I'll finish the second Molly Weasley sleeve today and start swatching for the body of the sweater. I've been a little distracted since I just got my Ravelry invite and I've been playing over there. Have a good weekend. . .

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Cathleen said...

mmm, jelly! I didn't get to make any this year. Kailey has been keeping me pretty busy.
I'll have to see if I can find you over on Ravelry, my user name is AmandaCathleen

8:36 PM  
Blogger marit said...

It looks so yummi!

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines