Friday, September 21, 2007

Cub Scout Flag

I had a request from a commenter (thanks! I love comments) about the Cub Scout flag. I never know what others are interested in, so I wasn't going to post about it, but since you asked. . .

And I hate to post this photo since it has the kids' faces in it, but it's the best one I have. Dd is supposed to teach me how to use the *blur* function in some photo editing software she has. It's on my to-do list.

Basically, I used the yellow ripstop nylon from JoAnn's as the base. I think the finished size was about 28" wide by 24" long. I searched and searched for a Cub Scout logo embroidery design (was willing to pay even) but couldn't find anything. I printed off this Cub Scout logo from the BSA site. I used the photo transfer paper (also from JoAnn's, check the quilting department) to print it. The only trick here is to remember to mirror image the design. My printer (a Lexmark about 4 years old) has the feature under *Options*. You have to use cotton or poly/cotton for the transfer, so I couldn't put it directly on the nylon flag fabric. Actually this worked well because I was able to hide the back of the embroidery I used to put on the pack and den numbers.

I bought a spool of navy grosgrain ribbon, about an inch wide and folded it in half lengthwise and applied it around the edges. I did this to strengthen and stabilize the edges. I cut short lengths of the same ribbon, folded them in half and stitched them on for ties on the side and top of the flag (2 on top, 2 on side). This way it can hang from the side for regular use or from the top as a banner in a parade. (I think the boys are marching in a parade next month. . .)

That's basically it. The boys signed it and drew on it with fabric markers at the meeting. I still haven't seen what the other den's flags look like, so I don't know how this one compares with respect to size, etc. . .


Here's my proud Cub Scout. The first meeting was at our house and he was so excited having all the kids over. We have sold about half of our popcorn, whew! He loves pulling the wagon around and selling. I hope we can sell the rest tonight and be done with it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines