Thursday, May 25, 2006

Summer Reading Challenge

In the midst of picnics at the park:

class parties, etc., no sewing is being done. Knitting continues apace, although I'm still knitting the boring rectangles in varying stitch patterns for my knitting camp homework. I'll get up a pic when I'm finished, today or tomorrow.

Summer Reading

Here's the official stack:

I've got Diary of Anne Frank which I bought at the actual museum in Amsterdam, a biography of Juliet Low, which I bought in Savannah. Next, is Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I bought because I thought, mistakenly, that Knit the Classics was reading it. I think you can see the others if you click on the pictures to enlarge them. (Reading Lolita in Tehran, Son of a Witch, Dr. Strange and Mr. Morell, and the Time Traveler's Wife.) Cold Comfort Farm should also be in that stack, but it is instead here, the actual stack living by my bed:

Here we have a couple of Judy Blume books, Blubber and Are you there God, it's Me, Margaret, which I am halfway through, a couple of E. B. Whites, Stuart Little and Trumpet of the Swan, and The Secret Garden. I have a 9 yo dd, and I am reliving my childhood reading through her. I buy these books and read them before I pass them to her. It's wonderful reading these again.

Now to explain the other books in the stack. I have been trying to read Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown. A friend passed it to me because I told her I enjoyed Da Vinci Code. I read the first 200 pages and decided I needed a quick dose of the Norton Anthology to clear my mind of the numbing effect of the Dan Brown book. So, it's by my bed. Also, there is the Collected Works of Jane Austen, because I'm supposed to be reading Pride and Prejudice for Knit the Classics. I rewatched the A&E movie yesterday while I was knitting, does that count?

And, finally, an Annie Proulx book. I finally watched Brokeback Mountain, and, thinking I had everything of hers ever published, searched high and low, but can't find the first Wyoming Stories that has the Brokeback Mountain story in it. I know I read it in the New Yorker and also searched my short story anthologies, but can't find it.

So, there it is. Will I get all of these read? Maybe, maybe not. I am so distractable these days when it comes to reading, but if you can't follow your whims, then what fun is it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Whitney said...

Oh my goodness I read the Time Travelers Wife and it was awesome!!! I really emjoyed the book and hope you do too.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Andi said...

Wonderful stacks you have! I'm reading Close Range: Wyoming Stories and enjoying it. I've also read The Time Traveler's Wife (loved it) and several others you mentioned.

On the down-side, I couldn't stomach Angels & Demons even though I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code. Too formulaic!

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines