Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Tshirt Quilts


So I saw a ton of posts at the Craft Magazine blog showing Tshirt quilts and I've never photographed or blogged mine. (Ha, easy instant blog fodder.) I made these two quilts ten years ago from a pattern that I bought in a quilt shop. You really don't need a pattern per se, but this one had instructions on how to stabilize the knit T shirt pieces, which was helpful to me at the time, because I was a beginning sewer and needed all the help I could get. . .

Dh had a huge collection of T shirts from college (1970s vintage) and all of his marathon t shirts, which he wore, but then decided he wanted to preserve before they all wore out. He ran a marathon every year between the ages of 30 and 40. (I also scrapbooked all of his race numbers and photos around that time.)

(You can click on the photos to enlarge.) There are a few odd bandanas thrown in, and I used a chili pepper print for sashing between the blocks. They live on the extra twin beds I keep in the basement and the kids use these for sleepovers. It really is a fun way to handle all those t shirts you can't bear to part with.

I have a trash bag full of t shirts of my own that I saved, but haven't ever been inspired to do anything with them. Maybe I need to go through them again. . .

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Great quilts, very impressive on all the marathons.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Sharon Sews said...

Cute quilts. DD saw a t-shirt quilt a few months ago and wished she had saved all of her t-shirts. I don't think I'll show her this post :-)

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines