Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Doily Done!


Here it is. Pattern is the March Doily from the Leisure Arts booklet, A Year of Doilies, Book 5. I love the description -- *A harbinger of springtime, this lovely doily brings a breath of fresh air to any room.* Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet Thread, size 10, size 7 Boye hook. Took about a week to make. Don't remember the name of the thread color, but I chose it because it matches the paint in my kitchen and thought it would look nice on a small round table in my breakfast area. That table stays junked up with mail and backpacks and homework, but maybe someday it will stay clean. . .

And here is the inspiration for it:

My grandmother made this one at least 40 years ago. It sat on a round, glass topped table in her living room. I used to look at it all the time as a kid and I thought the pineapple designs looked like fish. . . My mom gave me the doily a while back and I bought the thread crochet book because the picture on the cover reminded me of grandmother's doily. . . The thread she used is gray, but has faded so much it looks kind of beige now.

Here's a pic of what's been going on in my sewing room at night:

Photo from Bent Objects. I've got to get in there today and make a quick baby gift. Honestly, it DOES look like there's been an uprising in there, but I think the cats did it rather than the sewing notions. . .

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger marit said...

What a lovely doily! Good work! It makes me want to pick up that crochethook again- I have a couple of projects lying around...

9:51 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Mary, beautiful doily, very impressive.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines