Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Some Knitting, Crochet

I've been making some progress on the Dollar and a Half sweater. I'm up to the armholes on the back and it's too big.

I need it to be at least 45" around so I'm making the 47" size. I was hoping my gauge would be a little too big, so I could make the next size down (42" I think), but it was spot on, so I sized up, and now the back alone measures 25". So it will be at least a 50" sweater, sigh. . . Even though I swatched twice (and washed and dried them) I still can't get it right. I'm in sweater hell. I can't bring myself to rip it out just yet, I have to take some time to let a fact like that sink in.

So, in the meantime, while postponing the inevitable, I've been practicing crochet.

See how it curves? Because on the more recent rows my gauge is starting to loosen up. I'm using dishcloth cotton, but the fabric is too stiff for a dishcloth--I think it will become a potholder. It's interesting how thick and sturdy the crocheted fabric is. This is single crochet. I'm planning to work swatches of all the stitches and then start making some little animals and things, as soon as I learn to increase and decrease.

This week has been busy with lots of Girl Scout stuff, plus some crazy school volunteering. You know how you sign up in August to help with things that happen in March or April or May, just because you feel guilty about not signing up for Room Mom? (Because at our school you have to provide a resume to get the job of Room Mom and therefore, I'm not touching that job.) And then you forget all about the stuff you signed up for in August, because that was six months ago. . . That kind of stuff.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger gretchen said...

Hi - I saw your dollar and a half at the kal, and I'm encouraged that you're gettign gauge witht he cotton ease (although I'm sorry that it's too big) - I was thinking of trying it myself. It looks great....if that's any consolation.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Mary B said...

Gretchen, I'm having trouble finding your profile to email you (hope you see this). I started the back of the sweater again in the smaller size and it's coming out just a bit larger than gauge, which means it's perfect. Whew.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines