Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Rosemarkie

Lately I've been reading Wendy Knits and watching her work on Cromarty from Alice Starmore's The Celtic Collection. I remembered I had borrowed this book from my mom about a year ago, so I pulled it out to check out the pattern. Guess what I found?

It's Rosemarkie, Celtic Key Waistcoat, the pattern for this vest I posted at Project Spectrum.


Here's the photo from the book. It says "Styled in a traditional manner the rich colours used here are a perfect accompaniment for the deep hues of velvet skirts and the burnished wood of a violin." Since Mom used a cool palette for mine, what accompaniments do you think I should wear? Denim jeans and the silvery finish of a minivan, I suppose?

This book was published in 1992, showcasing Rowan yarns. It really bugs me that they tell you you need 15 balls of whatever yarn, but there's no indication of the yardage of that particular yarn, so it's really difficult to substitute. At this point, I don't know how many of those yarns are still being made.

Many of the patterns are the big oversized style, which isn't very wearable right now, but I DO like this one:

This is Aberlady, a Celtic Key Sweater. Of course the largest size is for a 39" bust and mine is 41", last time I checked. Also, it calls for sock weight yarn on size 2 needles, so I don't think I would have the patience or the resizing math skills required. And how much yarn to buy???

I guess I'll just enjoy the book for the gorgeous photography, close my eyes and pretend I'm walking the moors looking for Heathcliff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines