Sunday, March 04, 2007

Unfinished Bag


I started working on this bag, made from Amy Butler fabric. It's going to be a teacher's gift. I love quilting, and I used some pearl crown rayon I had in my stash for this. The tension in the bobbin was probably not loose enough, but I liked the *couched* effect, so left it that way.

Lining fabric and pockets.

I'm designing this myself. Basically, it's going to be one long piece of quilted fabric folded over (with Timtex for stiffness). The design means that it's not flat on the bottom, so I need some purse feet for it. I went in search of them today and couldn't find any, so I ordered some from Tall Poppy. Anyone ever used them? I know nothing about them and they were a bit overpriced, but they had some leather handles I've been looking for, so I ordered. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

I can't decide on handles. Do you like the beaded ones or the grosgrain ribbon applied to the cotton webbing? I could make some fabric ones too, but I hate that. I have a new grommet tool, so I'd like to use that. In my dream for this bag, I imagined a chain handle (like a quilted chanel bag) with a strip of matching fabric woven through. Hmmm.

Opinions welcome and needed.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger mermaids said...

i think the beaded handle is more in keeping with the spirit of the fabric.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I love the beaded handle. You could always add a bow or other embellishment with the ribbon. Glue a pin back on the ribbon and it can be taken off. Gorgeous job, the fabric colors are so peaceful looking. Makes me think of the ocean.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

The beaded handles are perfect with the fabric. I sure wish I was the teacher getting that bag - it is gorgeous!!

4:49 PM  
Blogger vickibarkley said...

Most teachers are going to fill that bag with heavy binders, calendars, memo pads, bottles of water, lunch, etc. Though I love the beads and the Chanel idea, how ergonomic are they? Not that you want it to look like a backpack, but my first thought was that I would use that a few times before I ripped the handles out from overloading it. Of course, I destroyed bags before I became a teacher.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines