Friday, February 23, 2007

A REAL Sewing Room

I don't know where this week has gone. I'm sitting here in my walking clothes, waiting for 9:00 am, when the Ped's office opens, so I can call and have dd's ears checked. We just need to be well around here.

On the good side, I drove an hour north of town yesterday to meet a friend for breakfast and to trade some books. I love her, she always has good stories to tell. I tried not to freak out about being so far away in case one of the kids needed me to come get them at school (sick), not sure how successful I was.

Debbie posted a *Flash your Sewing Room* challenge at her blog, Stitches and Seams. I love Debbie's room. It's organized and efficient, a good comfortable working room. (The green on the walls is my current favorite - I just painted my basement room that color.)

Also, yesterday I saw This sewing room post at Hello My Name is Heather. I kept STARING at those pictures. Pure eye candy. Let me get this out of the way: I am jealous. That sewing room is a fantasy, a magazine spread, a pure dream.

So, let's do a comparison, shall we? Here's my cutting table:


Here is hers, the ornate, shabby chic, green table in the foreground with the lovely bundles of fat quarters, rustic old spools and a couple of quilt tops artfully arranged.


Okay, now look at her floss storage system:

Compare to mine:

Sewing machine set up -- artfully arranged tablescape with tiny toy sewing machine in the corner.

Here's my set up.

Oh, here's my toy sewing machine, over there next to the Kleenex box and the Girl Scout badges that need sewing on. Check out the American Girl dress form shoved to the back of the table. Oh oh, wait! I have a ziplock full of vintage wooden spools! Don't they give the room a retro feel?

Next, let's compare dress forms. Hers is fresh from grandma's attic, cute as a button, look at that sweet scarf around its neck.

And, my dress form. An eviscerated yet bloated shell, hanging from the heat vent like something from your worst nightmare.

And finally, the chandelier, which her husband lovingly restored for her.

Mine. Okay, I kind of like it, y'all.


I really don't feel that bad about my sewing room. This person, Heather Bailey, is a fabric designer trying to grow a business and become a brand (like Mary Engelbreit or Martha Stewart or whoever). Of course she wants us to fantasize about having a lovely room like she does. Then we will buy more of her beautiful fabric.

Sometimes you have to put it in perspective. Honestly, I cannot subscribe to Martha Stewart any more because I feel so INADEQUATE when I read that magazine. However, it is an INSPIRING magazine with gorgeous staging and photography. I occasionally pick it up when I am the mood for some eye candy. Just like Heather's blog. . .

7 Comments:

Blogger Debbie Cook said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Debbie Cook said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Debbie Cook said...

You crack me up!!

Hey, I think we have similar "chandeliers" ... although my "vintage 1974" model is a bit damaged after the remodel guys hit it.

http://tinyurl.com/yrfh39

11:43 AM  
Blogger vickibarkley said...

I am shrieking with laughter! I just have to say, no real person uses that other woman's work room. Remember "the Study?"
Your sewing room is way more organized that my studio!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Mary B said...

Oh Debbie, that is so funny. I really love that kind of chandelier though. My last house had an original one from the 1920s in the bathroom of all places.

6:10 AM  
Blogger mermaids said...

your sewing room looks well used. no offense intended, but heather's looks staged. you are exactly right... she is moving into the ranks of "professional," sort of like the actresses whose job it is too look pretty all the time. perhaps there are people who reside in homes that look magazine layouts, but i am not one of them. :) i posted photos of my very much "lived in" sewing room. http://mermaids.wordpress.com

5:39 PM  
Blogger The Drizzled Apple said...

... just had to let you know that I read and LOVED your Sewing Room bit! It's perfect and true! One can only dream to have that Heather Bailey work space, I have. At present, I can't even find my sizzors let alone a clean space to cut on hahah. So refreshing! Thanks!

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines