Monday, March 26, 2007

Irish Lace

My mom crocheted this tablecloth in the mid 1970s. She had a lot of time to work on it because she had broken her leg and had to have surgery on it, which resulted in several weeks of bedrest.

She said it came from a Woman's Day magazine article about making a blouse from Irish lace. She didn't want to make a blouse, but wanted to try out the pattern and ended up making a tablecloth. She used to send my sister uptown on her bike to buy more thread when she ran out.

(Remember you can click on the picture to enlarge it.)

All I remember about that time is that I learned how to use the washer/dryer, how to make Campbell's soup on the stove, and I got to go grocery shopping on my bike and pick up the mail at the P.O. every day. Looks like Mom managed to make some lemonade from lemons too. Good times, y'all.

1 Comments:

Blogger vickibarkley said...

I have no recollection of being sent uptown for thread while Mom was laid up. I do, however, remember having a rat's nest at the back of my head, which horrified her. In my memory, that summer was one of having my hair closely monitored. Thanks for posting a much more interesting story about that beautiful table cloth.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines