Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Socktoberfest


It's Socktoberfest time!

I wasn't planning on making socks this month (Kiri shawl) but how could I resist? Socks are my hands-down favorite thing to make.

I really had fun answering the first questions.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
My mom has been knitting socks for years and gave me a pair every Christmas. All of my siblings want plain black socks, but I am the only one who likes a little color. Here are some that my mom has knitted for me.

The red and white striped pair are cotton. The red entrelac and the white lace ones are from the SpinOff Socks Book. I also have many pairs of plain black and brown ribbed cuff socks that she has made over the years.

Really, I learned to knit because I loved my mom's handknit socks and wanted to make them myself. She showed me how to get started, things like casting on over two needles (on DPNs) and how to join them to work in the round, etc. I also hung around the socknitters list at yahoogroups. I think the best thing for me was the tutorial from the Socks 101 Site.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
What would you have done differently?

My first pair are these footies, also from the SpinOff Socks book.

The yarn is Noro Iro and I barely had enough to do these, seems like maybe there was a yard left over. It was a great way to learn how to make a sock quickly on big needles and not get tired or bored. They are a wool/silk blend and I sometimes sleep in them or wear them around the house -- they once saved my life on a cold camping trip. I would have made them just a tad longer if I had enough yarn.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
My favorites are Koigu KPPM, Cherry Tree Hill Supersock, and Socks That Rock.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I knit mine cuff down on DPNs. One of my New Year's resolutions was to try toe up, 2 circs, and/or Magic Loop, but I haven't done it yet. Maybe this knitalong will inspire me to try a new method.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Flap, tried short row once and it was a disaster (frog pond).

How many pairs have you made?
This is what I could find, but it doesn't include cotton ones, or some that are in the wash. . . I'm guessing about 25 pairs over the past 3 years.


I've never had a problem with Second Sock Syndrome. I guess it's because I'm so eager to get to wear them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Cathleen said...

you must have one AMAZING sock drawer! Love all your socks, and reading your sock history : )

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines