Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sewing Communities

No photos, please. . .


I listened to the Material Mama podcast and it was great. This is a podcast that centers araound sewing for your family. Even though I'm not doing a lot of kid sewing these days, I still have the issue of trying to sew with kids around, etc. I listened to the first one, where Nutmeg introduces herself and talks about how she learned to sew, etc. and the second where she interviews a sewing friend who sews for her seven children. Check it out folks. I think you can listen to it directly from her site even if you don't own an Ipod or MP3 player.

Sewing Communities

Listening to this Podcast got me thinking about the many different sewing communities I've participated or lurked in over the past few years.

I started out at the Nursing Mother's Sewing List. I was a newbie at both sewing and listservs, and remember saying a few dunderheaded things when I first joined, but people forgave me and I stayed and learned a lot about sewing.

When I joined there, I had given up on sewing for myself because I didn't understand how pattern sizes worked. Everything I made was a wadder because I was choosing the wrong size pattern. I gave up and quilted and sewed for dd at that point.

Around this time, ds was a baby (obviously, I was nursing SOMEONE right?) and I got interested in sewing cloth diapers. I hung around, lurked mostly at the Amity Mamas board, and the Sew Your Own Diapers yahoo group, which I can't find right now -- maybe it's defunct. (That's hard to believe, it used to be a huge group with at least 2000 members, wow. )

Around this time I joined the Sew4Kids4Fun group at Quiltropolis, which had a several spin offs that I participated in from time to time. My favorite is Sew4me because I'm sewing less for the kids and more for myself these days.

Next, I was active at Delphi Forums Heirloom Sewing and Smocking (you might need a login for that link, sorry). I learned to smock when ds was 18months old and dd was 5, so the window of time for wearing those garments (bishop dresses and JonJons) was very short. I hung out there and posted some for about a year.

During this time, I was also very active at Patternreview. It used to be small, and there were only about 4 or 5 new reviews per day, so you could read all of them. I felt like I had found my *sewing home* there.

I mostly lurked at the now defunct Sewing World, which is now reincarnated as
Stitcher's Guild. For some reason, this place always makes me feel like I'm not one of the cool kids, that everyone else knows some secret except me.

Most of you reading here are people who know me from one of these places. It's funny how you see the same people over and over at all these different places. Sewing people are so generous with sharing their knowledge. I would have give up on this hobby long ago without the support of the online sewing community.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

I know exactly how you feel about the alternative Sewing World. I just skim one topic to see finished garments. Heading over to check out the podcasts, thanks.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Mary B said...

Lori, I'm not saying that they're mean or anything. I think it's such an old group of friends and it's hard to break in when you're new. I lurk over there too.

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines