Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Late Fall



It went directly from summer to indian summer here, so it's only now cooling off enough at night for the leaves to change. We've had a couple of nights of freezing temperatures, and then discovered that our heat isn't working due to the bathroom renovation. I love how the consequences of changing things only make themselves known months later. (We are going to have to reroute the exhaust for the heat pump somehow.)

So, in order to combat the cold, I've been holed up in my little room by the gas fireplace.

I think I've mentioned before how much I love Handknit Holidays by Melanie Falick. It's one of those books that you can enjoy as a coffee table book and never make anything from, it's so beautiful. The photos make you fantasize about cozy evenings by the fire with hot chocolate and cookies (it includes a couple of recipes, even).

I've made several hats and small projects from this book, and the patterns have been well written. (Not sure if there is errata for the book, guess I should check.)

I bought the supplies to make the candle holders last January and finally got around to trying one yesterday. I've never knit with metal before and it's a little hard on the hands. My needles were a bit smaller than called for which meant more knitting, which meant running out of beads before the end. (You string the beads first, so if you run out you would have to thread them on the other end and I was afraid of unspooling the wire.) I have supplies to make a few more and I think I'll try crocheting the next one. It will be easier to make it fit, I think.

The lace top is blocking, hope to get a post together on that next week if I can get the dress made over the weekend. The kids' sports/activities schedules are making me feel cross these days -- I want my nights and weekends back . . .

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Cathleen said...

ooohh, love the candle holder!
I hear ya, I want my weeknights back! I'm pretty lucky that we have one week that has all the activities and then the next week is empty. I'm looking forward to Saturday, PJ day!!

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines