Monday, December 11, 2006

Gingerbread and Birthday Cake

It's going to be a baking blog this week, sorry.

We baked cookies this weekend. I used a recipe from the King Arthur Flour Cookie book. They came out hard as a rock, but the kids will probably play with them rather than eat them. Ds ate a few while they were hot and still soft.

I have a grocery store gingerbread house kit to put together and ds wants the gingerbread men to live in it.


Today is his birthday. We had a big party with his classmates yesterday.

I didn't bake the Star Wars cake. I like to let the kids go to the grocery store and browse the big cake book for their parties.

I baked some chocolate volcano cupcakes yesterday to deliver to his class today. My favorite cupcake cookbook is Cupcakes from the Cake Doctor. This book has wonderfully creative ideas for children's parties. The volcano cupcakes have vinegar and baking soda in them and are baked at a high temperature to make the centers rise up like a volcano. You are supposed to use a white chocolate glaze, but mine came out runny and clear because I didn't follow instructions. They taste great though.

Now I need to decide whether to make him a birthday cake for the family celebration tonight. I really want to make This cake (scroll down). The dry ice intimidates me. We'll see.

2 Comments:

Blogger vickibarkley said...

nice cookies. I've given up on making gingerbread because I'm the only one who eats them. However, the new favorite family xmas cookie is the cardamom butter cookie at epicurious.com. I've made it 3 years in a row, and it gets eaten even before the sugar cookies. I made 2 batches this weekend.

Love the Star Wars cake. Happy Birthday to Christian.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Hi - Is there any way you could email me the volcano cupcake recipe? I'd love to make those for my son's class.
Thanks!
Carrie
(carrie@talus-and-heavner.com)

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines