Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Center Square


Here's the other hat. Center Square from Knitty. I used two balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, doubled, on a size 11 Denise circular. As you can see, it fits dd very well, although it needs to be a bit deeper for me. I was VERY worried about running out of yarn, so I was a little ungenerous with it. I had a few yards of each color left over, next time I would add a couple of rows.

I just realized that I left out the first few rows of the fair isle pattern. I don't know what happened, but my printer must have left off a few rows of the chart. This is why my hat is too shallow. . . Hey, but it fits my 10-yo just fine, and I WOULD have run out of yarn if I followed it correctly. . .

The only intentional modification I made was to change the decreases. The decreases in the pattern photo looked a bit messy to me, so I added a plain knitted stitch on either side of the marker. This is how it came out.

All in all, a great, quick project. It was really fun to make, the fair isle pattern is simple, but interesting.

I was looking around yesterday and found this:

I remember working on this and looking at it and thinking it looked like crap. (This was around the time I learned to knit, so I was probably ready to jump ship on the smocking project for a knitting project. . . ) It doesn't look so bad to me now, but I can't use it in a Jon Jon for my 6-yo.

I'm trying to think of a way to turn it into a Christmas ornament. My mom has a bunch of *smocked Christmas balls* that she made in the 60s -- I'm thinking or something along those lines. I'll go research it, see what I can find. . .

Let me know if you have any ideas.

2 Comments:

Blogger vickibarkley said...

Smocked Christmas Balls - MODERN!!! I am having such a nostalgic moment.

I'm sure you're familiar with those multicolored hats Mom makes. With the cold weather (it was 39 at my house this morning), I've been wearing them various places, and several hip arty type chicks have hounded me for where I got them. If you and Mom ever decide to go into business, I've got the customers! Hmmm...eBay?

9:41 AM  
Blogger Mary B said...

Vic - I found a pattern for the smocked balls and I'll post a pic if I ever get one made. . .

Re: the hats, she gave me the book a while back, but I still haven't tried making one. I should post a piccy of the one hat I have left - I wish I had a photo of all of them, they were so crazy.

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines