Monday, May 01, 2006

Shapely Tank

Blogger won't let me show you what it looks like, but I finished the front of the tank over the weekend and started the back. I added some extra length to compensate for the shrinkage in my swatch, and man, I hope it wasn't too much. It looks way too long and the bottom edge is curling like crazy. . .

Reading

I read GILEAD last week. Wow, what a great book. I'm not generally the religious type, but this was so beautifully written. Basically, it's a story of an elderly preacher who is writing a family history of sorts for his young son. The preacher's grandfather was an abolitionist who helped John Brown in Kansas, which is the topic of another favorite book, Lidie Newton. There's something about this time period in Kansas, who knew??? We were all busy studying what was happening in the South and I didn't understand about the battles over the new territories. I saw a quilt square called *kansas troubles* in a book once, now I know what it refers to.

I also read my IRL book club selection for May, which is Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress. This was a lovely book, set in China during the cultural revolution. Let me just say that I can't imagine living in a society where books are banned. Makes you appreciate the 1st amendment just a bit. . . I think I saw a movie version of this at Blockbuster, maybe I'll pick that up too.

Sewing, Lack of

It was just too crazy around here this weekend. I can keep a little knitting going, but with all the end-of-school crazy stuff, I don't see things improving for a while. The new Ottobre has me charged up but I can't get in there to work on it. A swimsuit for me is on the back burner, need to go order some of the good elastic for it, at the rate I'm going there's plenty of time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

Yes, indeed, find the right elastic! When I was 15, my mother made me a great bikini and for the inaugural swim, we were with a whole bunch of people at a big family and friends camp weekend. I dove off the raft, and when I hiked myself back up on it, My bottoms were down around my ankles! When I finally got to shore, there was my mother, horrified when she realized she didn't use bathing suit elastic, which won't stretch out when wet!

5:44 AM  
Blogger Mary B said...

Lynne, that is funny. My mom made me one when I was in high school and it had the opposite problem. The elastic around the leg openings didn't have enough stretch and cut into my thighs like sausages. A shame because otherwise, it was a cute suit.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines