Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Making a Letterbox

I decided to make and place a letterbox. It needs to be in a public place, but kind of off the beaten path, and I didn't want it to be in a park with a lot of other boxes. I decided to choose the city park where my dd does cheerleading for the football team. There might be some other boxes there, but I couldn't find any, unless the clues were all in code causing me to miss them. I used a megaphone image and named the box *Go (insert team name)!* Here's a scan of the original clip art image, plus all my test stamps.

I'm not totally loving it, but I think my skills will improve with some practice. Here are some rubber stamp carving tutorials that I've run across recently. Very inspiring.

One thing I like about it is that you can make a stamp even if you can't draw. It's so easy to find clip art online. I'm hoping that I'll be able to carve from photos when I get a little better.

I found the official Letterboxer's favorite box at Linens N Things.


Here is the box with its contents out.

The little green note is a First Finder's prize. Yellow logbook, stamp and little ink pad. You're not supposed to leave a stamp pad, but I wanted to make everyone use the correct team colors. Also, I live close by and can check on it and replace it if I need to. Freezer ziplocks are below for storing the stamp and book.

I probably won't get a chance to go place it until next week. I think ds will enjoy hiding it and helping me write up the finding clues.

Last night we went to the park while dd was at math tutoring and found one letterbox. We almost got a second one but it got dark on us. I feel like we should get as much of the local boxes found as possible before poison ivy season is here. . .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines