Thursday, January 17, 2008

Almost a Snow Day

This was going to be a post about No Knead Bread but instead it's about bitter disappointment.

We had all this:


And still, they had to go to school today.


Behold the remains of a stamped on, rained on, snowman.

The kids played in the snow for almost two hours last night, and then I let them stay up even longer because I thought *surely the roads will ice up tonight*, but no. Only rain and holding steady at 34F. So close, so close.


More bitter disappointment. I got the latest Cook's Illustrated which has a new version of the recipe in it. Basically you add some vinegar and beer to it and give it a light kneading instead of no kneading. Like a fool, I followed their instructions for cooking times (not remembering that last time I burned it slightly) which was a mistake. Next time, I'll reduce the temp to 450, and only cook it for 25 mins covered, with no uncovered time.

Oh and BTW, last night I had a slice buttered (cutting off the burned bottom crust) and it was delicious, although my undiscerning taste buds couldn't tell much difference from the addition of the beer and vinegar.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger vickibarkley said...

Here's a link to a discussion of that recipe. Haven't tried it myself. I'm not in baking mode right now. I am, however, becoming a bit of a wine geek. Chowhound is very entertaining!

my ID is vickib

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/469752

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines