Monday, February 12, 2007

Margie's Knitted Corn Skillet Handle Covers (Free Pattern)


My grandmother had some of these, probably dating from the 1970s, in her kitchen drawer. They were pretty old and ratty looking, but my mom took them and studied them and figured out this pattern. She says that the pastor's wife at her church used to knit these to give as bridal shower gifts back in the 1980s. So, I know it's a really old pattern, but I couldn't find a version online, so here it is.

Margie's Knitted Corn Skillet Handle Covers (Free Pattern)

Copyright 2007 Marj Barkley - All Rights Reserved


For Personal Use Only


Materials: One Skein Each of two contrasting colors Worsted Weight Yarn (the fiber is up to you, but you probably want it to be machine washable -- I used Lion Brand Woolease. I'm guessing you can make 6 or 8 of these from two balls of Woolease.), Size 7 or 8 knitting needles, scrap of green worsted weight yarn, Size H crochet hook, darning needle.

Row 1: Using Main Color (MC), cast on 8 stitches (I used long tail or double stranded cast on)
Row 2: Increase 1 for every stitch (I used KF&B -- knit in front and back), 16 stitches
Row 3: Repeat Row 2, 32 stitches
Row 4: Knit 4 with MC, knit 4 with Contrast Color (CC), continue alternating colors and stranding across the back side the entire row. Don't worry if your strands are tight, this helps the piece roll up. This will be your Right Side of the work.
Row 5: (Wrong side row) Knit 4 in MC, pulling the yarn up snugly. Bring yarn to the front of the work and pick up CC, being careful to bring both yarns between the needles rather than over them. Knit 4 in CC. Continue alternating colors every 4 stitches across the row. When you switch colors and tug on the yarn, it creates the corrogated effect on the corn rows.

Continue Rows 4 and 5 until you have 20 garter stitch ridges or to desired length.

Row 24: drop CC and break yarn. Knit 2 together across the row using MC. (16 stitches remain)
Row 25: Repeat Row 24, 8 stitches remain.

Break yarn, place tail on darning needle and pass through remaining 8 stitches. Draw up tightly to make the end resemble the corn cob. Tie off and darn in ends. Repeat with caston tail on the other end.

Finish by crocheting a chain in green yarn. Pick up loops of the knitted fabric as you work in order to attach it as you go (no sewing on after). Make 4 or 5 *leaves* and put a hanging loop on the top. Go fry some eggs and keep your hand cool and comfy.



7 Comments:

Blogger Linda L said...

These are precious. What a clever idea! You should put these on Etsy and sell them. I would buy! They are truly cute and clever.

4:59 PM  
Blogger vickibarkley said...

De skeelleet!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Amanda Cathleen said...

too cool!! thanks for the pattern girl!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Scooterlady said...

I accidently found your Corn Skillet Handle Covers today.

Sometime in the late 70's-early 80's, I visited my mom in Fla in the sr citizen community she resided in. It seems this pattern was "floating" all around the knitting seniors. Mom gave me the pattern & back to NY I went. (I was a well-experienced knitter & crocheter).

This item was the *Beginning* of a 10yr span of selling my knitting/crocheting items (side job from my regular job which was in no way related to needlecrafts). And these were my 1st selling items! Sold lots of stuff to my co-workers.

You brought back memories & it's nice to see them again.

Now I'm the one in this community & mom has been gone for several yrs.

So what am I doing now ? After a very loooong hiatus from knitting/crocheting (the pc snuck into my blood & I became an expert on computers!), I recently picked up my needles again. And I volunteered to lead a knitting/crocheting class for the senior ladies here. The class started mid April 2007 and I love it. The ladies are very happy with me.

One more thing...my pc skills are not on hiatus! It helps me find tons of patterns, how-to's, etc for my class.

2:20 AM  
Blogger Mary Mahan said...

thanks for the pattern. I have had these holders for several years and thay are getting really thread bare. Now I have to go and find some yarn (I mostly make quilts) and get busy.
Mary

2:17 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Just adorable, loved that you shared it with us the pattern thank you so much.Thought post was brilliant.
hugs ginger

6:26 PM  
Blogger Hello said...

My mom has had a similar item in her kitchen since I was a little kid. She wanted to make a new one, so off to Google I went. Thanks for posting this so she can make some more (maybe I'll get a couple?)!

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines