Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Heart Soap


The Target rubber ice cube trays are great soap molds. I had no trouble at all popping these out. My 6-yo helped me. The soaps are really adorable. I decided to knit some washcloths to go with them, so I went to Hobby Lobby and found more ice cube trays.

I love the seashell shapes. Some of the designs they sold were a little smaller than I like to use for soapmaking. The irony is that the molds they sell to make soap in are more expensive and are the hard plastic that's impossible to unmold without ruining your soap. Also, they are really shallow. I like rounder, fuller shapes, they have a more substantial feel in your hand.

I found some nice pink yarn, Sugar N Cream dishcloth cotton. I used to have a Leisure Arts booklet with lots of heart dishcloth designs, but I can't find it. I think I'll go to the Dishcloth Boutique and find some patterns. I would love to make them from Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille instead, but my LYS doesn't stock many colors. I don't think I have time to order any either.

I remember someone posting on a soaping message board about using the Grandma's Favorite dishcloth to package a bar of soap. You thread a ribbon through the yarnovers at the edges and tie that around your bar.

1 Comments:

Blogger vickibarkley said...

Thanks for linking to my blog.

The heart soaps are totally cute. One of the art teachers here is using those molds in her sculpture class. She's having the kids do different exercises based on one simple, repeated shape. Ice cubes? Nahh... Soap and sculpture!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines