Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cutting Soap


Cutting the soap. As you can see, the soap is still stuck to the acrylic sheet that I use in the bottom of the mold. This allows the whole loaf to side through the cutter easily, although I do have to scrape each bar off the sheet.

Ta da! The finished bars. I make a 3 pound batch and try to make a dozen 4 oz. bars, as you can see the last few are a bit smaller than the rest, oops. I may or may not go back and trim the sharp edges with a vegetable peeler. The edges don't bother me since I use a washcloth or scrubbie, but people who rub soap on themselves directly might prefer a trimmed or beveled edge.

I found these rubber ice cube trays at the Target dollar spot. They would make wonderful little guest soaps for valentines day, no? (Reminding self that I always have trouble with molded soaps, is it worth trying again?)

I think today I'll make a batch of soap scented with red apple fragrance. I always have problems with colored soap. The last time I made red soap, it looked like the shower scene from Psycho when I lathered up and rinsed off (except in color, of course). There is an art to getting the soap to have color, but the lather to remain white. . .

Some fruity embroidery from Sublime Stitching. I almost frogged the grapes (my satin stitch sux), but they look a lot better after pressing.

I'm going to add this button, thanks to Jen at JenLa. She keeps a Page with Ga Knitbloggers, check it out.

1 Comments:

Blogger vickibarkley said...

Wow. I like the blocks like soldiers or dominoes across your counter. It's almost like chemistry. I am reminded of Wah's weekend glitter stars. We are just compelled to make stuff, aren't we? (Barkleys)

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines