Saturday, July 08, 2006

Jam Time


It was a busy day yesterday. Making jam isn't difficult, it's just hot and bit time-consuming. And my arm is sore today from mashing blueberries - not sure why I had such a time with them.

I made 6 hot pepper, 7 blueberry, and 9 blackberry. My dad grew some hot peppers and gave them to me on the 4th. I have NO IDEA how hot they are, I think they are cayenne. He asked me if I liked pepper jelly and what you eat it with, so I took that as a subtle hint that he wanted to try some. I love it over cream cheese with crackers.

I like to make jam because it reminds me of being at my grandmother's in South Carolina in the summer. She had a big garden, so she and my mom canned peaches, green beans, tomatoes, etc. They would have water boiling on the stove where one would be working and the other would be peeling and slicing. The floor was sticky and covered with juice, steam everywhere, heat surging from the room. They would yell at us kids to *stay out, go play* etc. Even when they were resting, they would be snapping beans or peeling apples for dinner.

Here's a little garden shot:

I love summer. We've had slightly cooler weather yesterday and today, so that it's not the usual stifling and oppressive heat.

I'm still waiting on the cherries and tomatoes to be ready.

The Charlotte's web shawl needs a rip-back again, but just 4 or 5 rows. I need to do this when I'm not tired or subject to interruptions, so maybe I can do it this afternoon. I have to learn not to work on it when I'm tired. Need to start some dishcloths or something mindless for those times.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lien said...

Ooohhh.. I've always wanted to try my hand at making jam. I've only tried making apple jam!! Berries are really expensive in Australia so normally I'd just eat them than try to make anything from them. Will you post your recipes?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Mary B said...

Popper, I used recipes straight from the Sure Gel Pectin package. That way I know I'm getting the proportions and timing correct so the jam will set. I used a Paula Deen/Food Network recipe for the hot pepper jelly. Here is the RECIPE. Do you have a similar Aussie product (here it's called Sure Gel or Certo) for making jams?

4:20 PM  
Blogger Lien said...

I think there is a similar product. Can't remember what it is called. It's winter here at the moment and so there aren't any exciting fruits. I'll have to wait a couple of months for some berries or exciting fruit to be available.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Amanda Cathleen said...

I can remember my Grandmother making jam and canning everything. I'm going to try my hand at making some blueberry jam this week. Wish me luck I've never done this before. I sure hope nothing blows up!

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines