Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Day in the Kitchen


It doesn't look like much, but I made an apple and a blueberry pie today. I used my handy Pampered Chef paring knife on the apples, plus the pie baker and shield. I always forget to spray some cooking spray on the shield. See how my blueberry pie edge got ripped when I took off the shield? Doh!!!

I made a summer squash casserole too, from a Paula Deen cookbook. I think we'll have burgers and corn on the cob tonight.

Cherries

I just read this post about cherries at yarnharlot. Well, I know mine aren't the same variety as hers (Montmorency), because mine bloom pink. I still don't know what they are exactly, sour or sweet.

You'll have to click on the photo for a closeup. It's hard to get a good picture because the cherries are so far away. I hope, hope, hope I get some this year. I pruned them last fall and sprayed them with the *bordeaux mixture* they use in vineyard to kill the black fungus from last year. It seems to be working, they are red instead of black this year.

The comments to her post cracked me up. Just climb the tree! Yeah, right. All the cherries on mine are at least 20-30 feet above the ground and those limbs won't support you at all. I just bit one and they are still hard and mealy and sour.

While I'm thinking about cherries, I want to link this lovely post from Sewing Box Stories. I don't speak read French, but some things are translated into English there and the pictures are lovely if you are at all into surface embellishments, hand embroidery, etc.

This is what waits for me tomorrow. We have too many blueberries. Way too many.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Cathleen said...

Look at you go! In a few weeks our local blueberry patch will be open for business, I can't wait to go and pick some berries! Where I grew up, we had an apple orchard and we used (I think it was called this) an apple picker to pick the apples from way up high. Maybe something like that would work. Good luck! : )

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines