Friday, September 11, 2009

Teal Dress


I made a dress today from the latest Ottobre. I'm wearing this issue out, which is fun. I know this is not a very flattering dress. I used to wear a lot of these back in the late 80s/early 90s, except they were more drop waisted. But it's very comfy and the fabric is wonderful. It's this rayon/lycra jersey from Emma One Sock.


It's No. 9, the "Pigeon Grey" knit dress. I'm not sure if I'll do a pattern review, maybe tomorrow if I feel like it.

The magazine shows it over pants, but that girl is way smaller than I am and I think that would be a lot of bulk on me. I might make some leggings, just to complete the cliche of the look. I want to make them with outseams instead of inseams, but I'm not finding any patterns for those. I don't think it would be too hard to change up one of my Kwik Sew patterns for leggings. Cut it down the grain line to form an outseam and then tape the inseams together. . .

Closeup shot of the neckline. I think it came out looking very nice. The skirt gathering is done with clear elastic, which was very simple and leaves you with a stretchy seam. I have just enough fabric left to make a pair of panties and found some matching teal lingerie elastic in my stash. There's a panty pattern in this issue of Ottobre, so I'll probably use it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger mermaids said...

as comfy as this pattern looks, i am not so sure about it either. love the color of yours and you did a fab job on the neckline. perhaps it is meant to be a more "youthful" style. dunno. perhaps with the right shoes, accessories, etc...

would be curious to see yours as a whole outfit...

3:37 PM  
Blogger Sherril said...

Yes Mary, please do a review. Many of us are waiting to see how the garments from this issue works out. I'd also love to hear your comments about the panties. BTW, can you share what size you made of the dress?

5:23 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

I'm glad to see this pattern made up. I think that the problem is that it looks a bit shapeless right now. I think that the dress could be more flattering if you added ties to the side belted it loosely in the back or maybe add some shaping via the side seams (my thoughts are to add some definition to your waist). The color is great and it would be nice if it could be altered so you are happy to wear it.

Rose in SV

5:31 PM  
Blogger marit said...

I like it! I'd love to make it myself, and use it over a pair of jeans. (I use 46/48, but I guess I'm taller than you.
The neckline looks really professional.

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines