Friday, August 21, 2009

All I have to Show for Myself

School started two weeks ago, so you would think I would be luxuriating in all my extra free time. Instead, it's been parties.

We had dd's 13 birthday party at a painting studio. They had fun and I really didn't have much to do in way of prep, etc. so it was pretty easy. After that I had a book club meeting at my house, which means a lot of cleaning and cat fur removal, since the cats sleep in the living room, where the party was held. We had back to school parties (exhausting evenings out in the heat), more book club, curriculum night at school, etc. I am tired.


Of course, by the calendar, and my garden, it's still summer. I finally made some Pepper Jelly. I made this a couple of summers ago, and the tartness of the cider vinegar works some kind of magic on the peppers. Much better than blandly sweet store bought jelly. Wish I could figure out how to keep the peppers from floating to the top.

Also, I made a pepper relish, which is not sweet. Not sure if I'm going to like this, and I had problems with the jars leaking during processing, so I'm a little unsure about it.

I finally decided to break down and buy some Serious Canning Supplies along with the Famous Blue Book and this newer book. Of course now that I've ordered them I'm pining away. . .

I'm planning to make pickled okra next week. The okra's coming in at last and I had to throw a bag out because I didn't get around to it -- hate that. Still freezing green beans, but tomatoes and peppers are slowing down. Summer isn't over for me yet.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines