Tuesday, August 04, 2009

No Pattern Brown Skirt


I bought this brown cotton gauze at JoAnn's the other day. I searched through my patterns for a skirt pattern, wanting basically a straight skirt with a ruffle at the bottom. Couldn't find anything, so I made it without a pattern. It fits just fine, think I'm going to like it.

I measured the widest point of my hips (saddlebag area for me) and added two inches for ease, plus seam allowance. The fabric was thin, so I doubled the upper section, basically making two skirts and sewing them together at the top and bottom.

I doubled the ruffle too, cutting a 12" strip, 1 and 1/2 times the width of the skirt, folded it in half lengthways and pressed it. Then gathered it and sewed it on. I didn't want to make a narrow hem on the ruffle and I had enough fabric double it. It's much easier and I think it hangs nicely with the extra weight.

I cut the front waist two inches lower than the back, for tilted waist. I used 1/2" elastic for the waist. Very comfy. I love these fast and easy projects. I have an almost identical skirt I made a couple of years ago, but the brown fabric has sequins on it and my kids make fun of me for wearing it. I guess sequins are not a look I can pull off, imagine. . .

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I'm so glad I stumbled on this post. I just bought two different pieces of gauze fabric and only have plans to make a BWOF for one of them. Your skirt is perfect for the material. I might have to copy you!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Sherril said...

Mary, thanks for your directions. I think I need a skirt just like it, tilted waistline and all.

10:22 AM  
Blogger vickibarkley said...

karma has come full circle! your kids make fun of what you wear? just like we used to make fun of mom!!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines