Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Sewing and Canning


Here is another top I made this weekend, from the same rayon/lycra fabric as the last one. I'm relying on brown as my basic wardrobe color these days. Black, next to my face, makes me look washed out, brown is better.

This top is identical to the last except it has a turtleneck. I usually hate turtlenecks, but I knew this fabric was heavy and drapey enough not to feel tight against my neck.

This morning I got the fabric I ordered, so I'm prewashing and hope to sew a bit this week.

These are the last of my tomatoes. I ripped the plants out this weekend, since they weren't doing anything. I tried to make green tomato salsa from the green tomatoes, but I blanched them and still couldn't peel them and they had hard cores, so it wasn't worth the effort.

This is *Jalapeno Salsa* from the Ball Blue Book of Canning.

All that work for two pints and two cups.

I had a little of it that was left over and didn't fit in the jars. Wow, it was hot! I didn't seed the jalapenos. I like it though, the sweetness of the tomatoes along with the cider vinegar is a good balance.

I want to make a couple of jellies next, but there's no rush since I don't have anything much coming from my garden except okra and green beans. I typically freeze those. I ordered some jars and I'm waiting on them. Realizing that the last time I canned salsa was 8 or 9 years ago, before ds was born. Wow. . .

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger marit said...

The top looks great with a turtleneck too:-)

I kicked out my tomatoeplants today...we didn't get many, but they were good...

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines